Monday, August 8, 2011

Computer Virus Almost Killed My Laptop! How to Avoid Such Trouble!

As soon as I arrived at our place to spend some time with my family after a 4-5 hour trip, I opened my laptop to continue the tasks I have not yet finished before I started my journey. But to my surprise, I wasn't able to access it because it had crashed!

When I turned the laptop on, the OS prompts that I have encountered some hardware or software malfunction, so it suggests me to choose either to run it using Safe Mode, Safe Mode with Networking, Last Good Known Configuration, Start Windows normally and so on and so forth.  What I did is to select Last Known Good Configuration. However, when  the boot screen of the OS appears, the laptop suddenly restarts and it keeps on repeating all over again. I have also tried to  select other options like Safe Mode, etc. but nothing happened.

I tried to reinstall the OS, which is Microsoft Windows XP Professional Edition, but it's still no use. In the middle of the installation, the installer prompts that the laptop haven't have a local drive.
My hope doesn't end there so I tried to install the OS on my portable hard drive, which is a Samsung G2. I usually have that instinct to reinstall OS once crashes happen. So, yeah I installed the OS again on the Samsung G2 portable hard drive but the problem was not solved.

What I did is to consult to the real expert. My brother's fiancee have a computer technician friend so she suggests to bring my laptop to him for free repair. After the repair, the cause of the crash is virus.
The purpose of this post is to help you PC users out there to avoid crashes like this.It is not really easy to undergo such problem because we love our computers and the files stored in it. Crashes come in a surprise and there are instances that we forgot to create file backups. Allow me to discuss strategies and solutions to resist the attacks of computer viruses into your system.

Choose antivirus software that is compatible with the specs of your computer and OS.
Update the virus scanner consistently.

Choose antivirus software with full version, freeware programs don't offer the utmost protection to the users.
Be careful of downloading crack files on various torrent and P2P sites like piratebay.org and isohunt.com.
Avoid visiting untrusted websites.

Enable pop-up blocker in your web browser.

Always enable the Windows Firewall and Windows Defender.

Activate the Windows Automatic Update tool and download the free security modules provided by Microsoft. It can be bothersome especially if your internet connection is slow, but you need to follow it if you don't want PC crashes.

Don't forget to clean the PC registry.

And most importantly, always create back ups of your important files before turning off the device.

No comments:

Post a Comment